Reading at Hempnall
Our children love reading at Hempnall. We have recently developed our library to be the heart of the school. Our Pupil Voice group have given us suggestions and ideas on the library they would love. The children have chosen specific books to full the shelves, as well as getting valuable guidance from the Children's Book Centre to ensure our books are diverse and varied in themes and authors.
We aim to provide children with a vocabulary rich environment, high quality texts and inspiring learning opportunities, which will help them to:
· Gain a life-long enjoyment of reading and books.
· Read accurately, fluently and with understanding;
· Apply a knowledge of structured synthetic phonics in order to decode unfamiliar words with increasing accuracy and speed;
· Be able to read with expression, clarity and confidence;
· Develop a good linguistic knowledge of vocabulary and grammar;
· Read and respond to a wide range of different types of texts;
· Develop a deeper level of emotional intelligence and empathy;
· Read fluently, and with confidence, in any subject.
Through the delivery of our reading curriculum we ensure a consistent and robust teaching and learning of early reading and phonics in FS and KS1, so that pupils are able to read with increased speed and fluency and access the wider curriculum.
We follow Read Write Inc to teach children phonics and they read story books that are matched to their ability. The books allow for children to read fluenty as their phonic knowledge develops. All pupils have opportunities to develop their reading skills daily, and are encouraged to read at home with an adult.
We provide a text rich environment, in order to encourage a positive culture of reading throughout all classes and promote reading for pleasure. Children enjoy listening to challenging texts through Storytime. Through high quality teaching and learning experiences we will develop children’s skills and competence so that they are fluent readers who can read to learn. Whole class shared reading is used throughout the school to enable all children to share high quality texts and develop skills in reading comprehension and fluency. Reading skills are continually developed through the wider curriculum.
All pupils will be able to read with accuracy, speed, confidence, fluency and understanding, ready to access the secondary school curriculum. All pupils will make at least good progress from their starting points. Pupils will develop a life-long enjoyment of reading and books.
Our Phonics Scheme:
A complete systematic synthetic phonics (SSP) programme is one that provides:
- all that is essential to teach SSP to children in reception and key stage 1 years of mainstream primary schools
- sufficient support for children in reception and key stage 1 to become fluent readers
- a structured route for most children to meet or exceed the expected standard in the year one phonics screening check
- all national curriculum expectations for word reading through decoding by the end of key stage 1
The phonics SSP that we use at Hempnall is Read, Write, Inc.
You can find out more about Read, Write, Inc. here. We also run regular Parent Cafes for Reading, so please look out for new dates on our Newsletters.